The meeting was called to order at 7:38 p.m. by President Dawn Davies in the Engineering Teaching Center at the University of Texas at Austin. A quorum was present.
The minutes from the July meeting were approved as posted to the AAS web site and published in the Sidereal Times.
Officer and Chair reports:
- Vice president: Upcoming presentations – September: Josh Petersen from Hill Country Astronomers on comets, November: Bill McDaniel, ranger of Pedernales Falls State Park, October: Dr. Don Olson from Texas State University–San Marcos (tentative), December: Holiday party (no presentation)
- Outreach: Upcoming event – 10 August: public star party at Canyon of the Eagles
- Member services: Looking for practical astronomy presenters and topics; Dam star parties on the first Friday of each month
- The Executive Committee has voted to purchase a separate internet connection at Canyon of the Eagles; installation and the cost of the first year of service will be $850; subsequent years will be $600. Funding is included in the draft budget for the 2014 fiscal year.
- Merchandise: Forms were available at the meeting and can be found online at austinastro.org; payment is due on delivery
- Budget: The budget for the 2014 fiscal year was approved as proposed by the treasurer on a voice vote.
Show and tell:
- Brian Lippincott – LED lighting
- David Henderson – AAS Member – Science Awareness and Astronomy
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 9:06 p.m.