MINUTES FROM GA MEETING 2.8.13
The meeting was called to order at 7:45 p.m. by President Joyce Lynch. A quorum was present. There were 42 individuals in attendance.
The following were introduced as new members, returning members and visitors: Tom and Kathy, Steve Hill, Sarah, Tara
Motion to approve minutes was made by Mike Krzywonski, seconded by Mark Lyon
Officer and Chair reports:
- Treasurer: We have roughly $32,000. Anyone wanting to join can see Mark after the meeting.
- Member services: We will have another dam star parting coming up and more practical astronomy meetings coming up. If you have any topics you’d like to know more about for the practical astronomy meetings, let Tim know. Next month is March, and we are planning to have a Messier marathon. We will have it at the private star party on the 9th, and we will have a backup date for the 16th as well.
- Communications: The new Facebook group is going well. It is not meant to replace the Yahoo! group, but it will help us to reach a wider group of people, so thanks to Tara for helping to get this going.
- Equipment: none
- Outreach: February- 9th at Blanco State Park (rain or shine), Barton Hills the 15th, Meridian Charter the 23rd, Deer Creek 26th. March- 2nd COE public party, 3rd at Wild Basin. 8-10th at SXSW with UT, March 23rd is Earth Hour, and we will be working with the planetarium people and Steve Bosbach (our IDA representative) on that event.
- IDA: Steve is presenting tonight, and will speak later.
- ALCor: Alan Carruth earned his binocular Messier certificate.
New business: Loaner scope program- Mark Lyon made a motion to buy two additional scopes (up to $1200 each) to add to our loaner program. Ron Carman seconded the motion. Motion passed.
--A form will be on the website in about another week or so regarding our new merchandise. We will place orders biannually. Prices may vary some based on order numbers.
--The nominating committee (Jim Linn, Ross Clark, and Alan Carruth) will be collecting information on those interested in running for office. The slate must be set by the March meeting, and the election will be at the April meeting.
--CTSP is the April 5-7 event at COE. We will be rededicating the Ealing telescope as the Larry Forrest telescope. We will also be dedicating a new observatory/telescopes donated by member Fred Ruof.
Presentation: Steve Bosbach, IDA representative
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 9:15 p.m.