The meeting was called to order at 7:42 p.m. by President Joyce Lynch. A quorum was present. There were 28 individuals in attendance.
The following were introduced as new members, returning members and visitors: Earl Alexander, Marsha McGinnis, Preston Hubert, Adrian, Marvin Johnson, Mark Nelson (Dawn’s dad), Tony Muller
Motion to approve minutes was made by Mike Krzywonski, seconded by Jim Spigelmire
Officer and Chair reports:
- Treasurer: If you haven’t paid your dues, it is time!
- Equipment: Darin is at COE this evening, but we are working on the lighting at the observatory site concerning safety measures.
- Outreach: November events: Nov 10 Members-Only Star Party, Nov 11 Stargazing at Wild Basin, Nov 15 Pond Springs Elementary, Nov 17 COE Public Star Party. December events: Dec 5 Fulmore Middle school, Dec 07 Lockhart State Park, Dec 08 Members-Only Star Party, Dec 14 Austin Astronomical Society's Holiday Party (please RSVP to the evite, and see Dawn if you didn’t get one; the party is pot-luck at Wild Basin), Dec 15 COE Public Star Party, Dec 18 Spring Hill Elementary. January events: Jan 5th COE Public Star Party, Jan 27 Wild Basin moonlighting, Jan 31 Great Oaks Elementary. February events: Feb 2 COE Public Star Party, Feb 7 Wild Basin star party, Feb 26 Deer Creek Elementary.
- Member services: We’ve started the dam star parties again (first Friday of every month, weather permitting), and we are planning additional social opportunities. There is a member services committee form you can fill out online, and we’ll be sending out some email messages as well. Thanks to Erika for tonight’s practical astronomy presentation.
- Communications: no update, but we may have big news next month.
- ALCor: no report
- IDA: Steve Bosbach is at the IDA conference this week. He is making a report about the work he is doing with the state parks in efforts to make them dark sky sites.
New business: Torvald Hessel and Lucia are here from the Austin Planetarium. AAS had a fundraiser as a memorial for Larry Forrest and raised $2830.75 for the planetarium. The AP are presenting to the NASA grant consortium next week.
New merchandise: hooded sweatshirts, polo shirts and t-shirts, stainless steel water bottles, 6 pack coolers. Hopefully a form will be online for taking orders within the next week. RASC book orders can also be placed on the website; orders need to be placed by the first week in December.
Presentation: Erika Rix- Astronomical Sketching
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 9:12 p.m.